Post Conference Focus Day
Wednesday August 21 2019
Connecting Systems from Design Through Construction
8:20 am Chair’s Opening Remarks
Generative Design & Model Validation
8:30 am Busting Myths Around Generative Design: How Can Computational Tools Really Be Successfully Applied Across the Project Lifecycle to Enhance Design & Manufacturing Accuracy & Efficiency?
- Lonnie Cumpton VDC Manager, Faith Technologies Inc
- Nate Bevers Product Line Analyst, Faith Technologies Inc
- Mark Mendez Technology Integration & Computational Developer, Faith Technologies Inc
- Addressing the challenges of removing schematic and design development engineering and changing the role of the engineer to review generated options: Why are people so concerned and what can be done to overcome these barriers to adoption?
- Lifting the lid on complex algorithms and parameters that can be applied to the design to make the right decisions and adhere to code, schedule and cost constraints, as well as structure models in order to auto-layout portions for modularization
- Revealing the end-to-end process of overlaying generative design tools and REVIT to support automation in the fabrication facility
- Highlighting the possibilities for further analytics to be applied to models generated to help planning and tracking of production efficiency
- Analyzing the overall productivity gains of the introduction of computational tools: What time, costs and quality benefits were seen and how can these be further maximized?
10:00 am Morning Refreshments
Harnessing BIM Across the Supply Chain
10:30 am Drawing Systems Together to Better Manage the Progression of Design in a Design/Build Project
- Kevin Sundquist Relationships Manager, Business Technology, PCL Construction
- Nick Kurth Virtual Construction Manager, PCL Construction
- Defining specific metrics to help measure design progression, better manage the process, and mitigate design risk: What is already being used, and what else is on your metrics roadmap?
- Outlining the end-to-end process of extracting, collating and mining data from various sources to create dashboards and more readily inform the decision making process in design
- Understanding how various technologies were assimilated to fill the gap of a single-source solution in the current market place, and what can further be added to enhance analytical capabilities
11:15 am Taking Clash Detection to the Next Level: Revealing Tools & Systems to Improve Identification & Resolution of Coordination Issues
- Darren Roos VDC Director, Bernards
- Exploring tools and systems that can be harnessed to support the early identification and resolution of coordination in the field and how this can be communicated more efficiently to field managers to improve overall workforce productivity
- Discovering the end-to-end workflow of identifying, communicating and resolving clashes using real-time platforms and apps: How can you better track when action has been taken?
- Assessing the benefit of traditional clash detection meetings vs cloud analysis and communication to identify and resolve clashes more quickly and efficiently with your team
12:00 pm Panel: How Can We More Quickly & Efficiently Get the Model into the Hands of the Field Worker?
- DJ Phipps Director of Construction Technology, XL Construction Corp
- Marcas Ledezma BIM Specialist, Andy J Egan Co.
- Ryan Hoggatt Director of Manufacturing, University Mechanical Contractors
- Travis Voss Leader of Innovative Technology, Mechanical Inc
- Discussing ways to drive adoption of 3D modelling in the field: How can we communicate and maximize the benefits with operations teams to move towards paperless field environments?
- Benchmarking innovative tools and systems that are being used to increase visibility, use, and simplicity of models in the field that have seen an increase in adoption
- Analyzing best practices to maintain real time updates to the models being used on mobile devices to keep them in line with RFIs, interruptions and design changes
12:45 pm Lunch Break
Digitalization of the Job Site & Beyond
1:45 pm Creating Collaborative Technology Strategies Between Owners & Contractors to Enhance Jobsite Connectivity & Project Deliverables
- Kristine Suminski Senior Business Consultant, Gilbane Building Company
- Mario Quesada Business Consultant, Gilbane Building Company
- Underlining the importance of communicating and exploring use of end deliverables early in project planning to create an overall strategy for creating useable models
- Revealing how contractors can increase value to the owner by introducing different technology options for project tracking and model handover to secure buy-in, especially with less advanced clients
- Understanding preferences of the owner for software and systems to better incentivize and align use of tools and data formats across all project partners: How can this be laid out and effectively communicated to all levels?
2:30 pm Lifting the Lid on Digital Twins: How Will Digitalization Create a Consistent Thread from Design Through Construction & Beyond?
- Shawn Klann President, Willow
- Introducing the world of the Digital Twin: What is the technology, the adoption curve and potential growth in construction and how this can impact AEC connectivity and overall project delivery in the next 5-10 years?
- Assessing the role of the supply chain in the creation of the Digital Twin: Who are the responsible players, what workflows and processes are required, and how is this enforced?
- Revealing how Digital Twins impact Smart Building Strategies from day one and reduce the technical debt that has limited Smart Building attributes on day two
- Understanding the difference between creating a twin for new buildings vs retrofits and how this impacts the strategy for creation
3:10 pm The New Era of Buildings: Optimizing Project Planning & Workflows to Facilitate Smart Facilities
- Neil Ross Innovation Architect & Strategist , Microsoft
- Changing the mentality of project planning to consider the end-user and the use of the building post construction: What data and behavior needs to be analyzed to inform design decisions and optimize smart facilities?
- Revealing the process of defining performance criteria and selecting the best tools and technologies to create smart environments
- Understanding how teams worked together with technology companies to create back-end cloud platforms to ingest relevant performance data, analyze, and report intelligence to enhance user experiences
- Assessing opportunities to enhance systems and build value add services to enhance experiences of the end-user